Saturday, July 24, 2010

sweet disposition


"A ship in the harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."
- John Shedd



I am a person who gets scared easily. I freak out before making tough phone calls. I avoid asking hard or potentially stupid questions. I'm am absolute chicken when it comes right down to it. Sure, I'll galavant in a gorilla suit in public, but going up to a saleman and ask for assistance? I don't think so.

Maybe it's not fear. Maybe it's pride. I don't like to be thought of as weak. I don't like people thinking I'm vunerable. I'd rather be wrong than needy, and I don't even like being wrong. (Who does, right?)

That's not the secret but I know what is: Everybody dies but not everyone lives.


Well, I'm sick of this. I can't live a life of fear anymore. That's not a life at all. After calling my closest friends in an attempt to get a pal for the Frenchie outing and reaching nothing but dead ends, I had an epiphany: I don't need other people to feel secure. At the end of the day, the life I lead is the life I need to be okay with. I can't live depending on other people; nothing would ever be accomplished.

I spoke with my retired neighbors today about my plans to visit Cairns, Australia this fall. They went to Sydney recently and told me how incredible it was and all the things that could be done there. I'm thinking about taking 2ish weeks off of work and heading to Cairns and Sydney. I want to stay in hostels and I don't want to be nervous about going solo at the beach or restaurants anymore. I just want to start living again.

No comments:

Post a Comment